2023 Author: Anita Thornton | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-07-31 02:08
Heartburn or heartburn are common experiences in pregnant women. We offer you natural solutions.
The hormones secreted during pregnancy, progesterone and relaxin, cause involuntary muscle relaxation. The valve (the cardia muscle) located between the esophagus and the stomach may not close completely and allows acidic particles from the stomach to go up into the esophagus and thus create burning and discomfort in the chest. Often more frequently in late pregnancy, as the larger uterus can squeeze the stomach and make symptoms worse.
Heartburn seems to get worse when stressed, tired, curled up or lying in bed. A simple tip is to use several pillows to sleep in a semi-sitting position.
To prevent and reduce burn symptoms
- Eat slowly, chew each bite well, don't overload your stomach, eat small meals at short intervals. Try not to eat late at night, it would be wiser to have your heaviest meal at noon and opt for a light meal in the evening. Opt for a salad with vegetablescolored and add some protein like chicken, salmon or eggs.
- Avoid fatty food. Be careful with desserts, cream, mayonnaise, avocados, potato chips, creamy cheeses.
- Avoid irritating foods such as: coffee, tea, alcohol, chocolate, soft drinks, tomato juice and spices.
- Eliminate sugary foods, desserts and such… Don't forget the juice: even without sugar, there is still a drink that contains carbohydrates.
- Practice breathing exercises that open the rib cage while reducing stress (before meals, during transport, before falling asleep).
- Certain foods seem to help some women: half a cup of rice, corn, whole bread, dried beans (white or red) or Japanese “Umeboshi” plums which aid digestion. Some say potato juice is miraculous…
- Prefer alkaline foods (apricot, fig, date, green olive, grape, banana, cherry, peach, potato, bean, endive, watercress, almond, etc.)
What about yogurt or milk? Does it help or not? In fact, in some people, it will temporarily calm heartburn, however dairy products can also cause heartburn. So, take the test: put dairy products aside for two weeks and see if there is an improvement in symptoms.
If after all these little things, heartburnpersist, here is the seasoned advice of a certified naturopath:
- Eat apple peels, pineapple or papaya after each meal. (papaya tablets can be purchased at a he alth food store)
- Chew an organic orange peel a few minutes after each meal.
- Cardamom, dill, cumin or anise seeds can be prepared as a decoction or you can simply chew these seeds after meals or between meals if needed. To make a decoction: place the seeds in cold water and boil for 10 to 30 minutes.
- Take a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a little hot water before meals.
- Drink an infusion of flax seeds. Boil a tablespoon of flax seeds in ¼ liter of water for 2 to 3 minutes. Strain and drink hot or cold.
- Drink herbal tea frequently during the day. Choose a single plant or mix a few plants: fennel, meadowsweet, marshmallow, chamomile, lemon verbena, lemon balm, plantain, licorice, lavender, orange or tangerine peel. Certain plants are emollient and will soften, protect and heal irritated tissues of the digestive system. Traditionally, these plants are known to relieve irritation of the digestive mucous membranes.
- Take a teaspoon of slippery elm powder with each meal. This plant is sweet and nutritious in addition to relieving irritated or inflamed mucous membranes. In infusion orin puree, it neutralizes acidity and soothes gastric reflux. You can also find slippery elm pellets in stores specializing in natural foods.
- Take natrum phosphoricum 10 biochemical s alt, three granules three times a day as needed. It neutralizes acidity.
Adopting better lifestyle habits remains the first steps to take to help you with heartburn. Eating better, better managing stress, resting, exercising is the basis of any he alth problem. To help you relieve all your little pregnancy ailments or to simply optimize your he alth, do not hesitate to consult a certified naturopath. He will be able to guide you through the various solutions available to you with sound and motivating advice.
More than one in six Canadians suffer from seasonal allergies and some people have symptoms from March to November. If you are one of those people, and you are looking for natural solutions, here is some information for you
There is nothing more unpleasant than feeling heartburn, sourness and gastric reflux. This burning sensation in the middle of the chest is more than uncomfortable
Pregnant, you have a bad cold and you wonder how to cure it. Attention! You should not take any medications or natural he alth products without consulting a professional
You just found out you're pregnant, congratulations! You had not thought, however, that certain discomforts could set in. The first weeks of pregnancy are often far from those imagined
Marilène Perreault is the instigator of the Le Capucin range of homeopathic formulas. The discovery of these products has somehow changed my life as a caregiver mom! The 10 solutions offered can be used for infants and children and have been approved by He alth Canada since 2009