2023 Author: Anita Thornton | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 11:16
Did you know that up to 80% of women wear the wrong size bra? Some tips for making the right choice.
Not only will a well-fitting bra make you look better, but a bad fit (too big or too small) can damage your breast tissue.
If it is too big, your figure will look heavy; if it is too tight, it will hurt your skin and give you artificial bulges, which we obviously do not want! As your weight varies during the year, it is important to take your measurements regularly and renew your bras accordingly. Ideally, everyday bras should be changed at least once a year.
How to take the right measures?
Chest circumference (30, 32, 34, 36, etc.): we measure the circumference of our rib cage by placing the tape measure just under our breasts; if the result is odd, add 1 inch since the sizes are all even sizes.
Cup size (A, B, C, D, etc.): we measure the most generous part of our chest, without tightening. From this measurement, we subtract our chest size. The difference between the two tells us which cup to choose: 1 in corresponds to an A cup, 2 in,B cup, 3 , C cup, and so on.
For example, if your first measurement is 32 inches and your second measurement is 35 inches, you will have a C cup. This short online guide can help you calculate correctly your ideal size.
If you are not sure of yourself, it is possible to go to a specialized lingerie in your area: advisers are specially trained for this task and will be happy to take your exact measurements and advise on the purchase. The important thing is of course never to buy a bra without trying it on first since each model is different and will not necessarily suit you.
A and B cups: almost all models will suit you: triangles, balconettes, padded or "push-up".
C and D cups: you need support, so avoid "soft" models which will cause a saggy breast; prefer bras with an underwire.
E, F and G cups: the underwires are necessary to maintain your bust. The wide and padded shoulder straps will bring you superior comfort.
- When you have a bra that fits you, the fullest part of the chest is in the middle of your upper arm, between the shoulder and the elbow.
- If the cups have creases, they are too deep and you need to take a smaller size. If on the contrarythe chest overflows the cup, it is necessary to take deeper cups.
- Close the bra to the middle clasp: since the size of your breasts can change in the same month due to your cycle for example, it is important that you can use the clasp closer in those cases to give you comfort, then go back to the middle staple on other days.
- If the straps enter the shoulders, choose either wider straps or better support, for example with an underwired bra.
- If underarm bulges form, the size is too small. Try a larger size. If it still does not fit, please choose another style, this type of bra may not fit your figure.
- The underwire goes up on the breasts when you raise your arms? The cup is too small or the circumference too large. The underwire, like the cup, must not move!
- The back of the bra goes up? The tower is too big. You should be able to fit one finger all the way between your skin and the bra for a perfect fit.
- Suspenders are constantly falling off? Start by adjusting the level of the straps. If despite everything they still fall, it is possible that this model does not suit your type of shoulders.
- Is the underwire hurting you? Some models do not have enough fabric to cover the frame. Choose a more padded model to be very comfortable! You will wear your bra for long hours,think about your comfort.
After you find a bra you like and fit, put on a tight sweater to see what effect it will have. Remember that bras covered in lace or with pronounced seams on the cup will show more under your clothing than a plain fabric bra.
It is best to hand wash your bras in lukewarm water with mild soap. It will keep longer. Once washed, place it in a towel and press to remove as much water as possible without wringing it. It is also recommended to air dry them since the high heat of dryers damages delicate fabrics such as underwear.
Other types of bras
Running or exercising intensely in a regular bra can contribute to sagging breasts. A sports model reduces breast movement and provides better support. In sports models, the choice of bra varies depending on the cup. From A to B, we choose a model that flattens the breasts. For C cups or larger, we choose a model that separates and maintains the breasts separately. At the level of the straps, prefer the X models which will not fall when you move intensely.
- Avoid buying your nursing bras before the end of your pregnancy. Your breast size may not be the same!
- Like damageare common, it is recommended to have 3 nursing bras. One you wear, one spare and one… in the wash!
- Your breasts will be tender, especially the first few days, and even the first few weeks in some cases. So choose a soft model that won't irritate your already hypersensitive skin and in stretchy fabric that will adjust according to the variation in the volume of your breasts.
- As you will wash them often, be sure the fabric will withstand frequent washing.
Fish have a lot to offer the fœtus: the fatty acids they contain play an important role in the development of the baby's brain and vision
A good night's sleep also helps her maintain a he althy weight. Who would have thought that this most sedentary activity could have such an effect?
A nursing bra is very useful for breastfeeding comfortably and confidently, whether at home or on the go. Here are some tips to help you choose the perfect bra for you
Is emptying and refilling the dishwasher the right way non-negotiable in your home? Etiquette specialist Jacqueline Whitmore says no and gives us her 14 tips to make our relationship last
I-DO-RE fine lingerie. For me, it's the ultimate arsenal of femininity. A secret and discreet weapon, but which increases self-confidence and confidence