2023 Author: Anita Thornton | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-11-27 18:44
Your child's doctor has probably told you: baby needs to spend time on his tummy every day. However, we know that some babies do not like the position. Why is this so important?
Since babies have been sleeping on their backs, we have noticed that the number of sudden infant death syndromes has dropped by 40%! All the same! But this position has also brought about several changes in the living and playing habits of our children.
Is it dangerous on your stomach?
In short, it is now recommended that parents put children to sleep on their backs to reduce the risk of sudden death syndrome in newborns, which has the effect of worrying some parents, who will therefore avoid to place their child on their stomach, even when they are awake, for fear of this syndrome.
However, there is no danger in placing baby on his stomach when he is wide awake. Even that, to develop well, babies need to explore a multitude of positions, including, of course, lying on their stomach.
In reality, never placing a child on their stomach can lead to delayed motor development, which can of course be correctedlater with exercises, but which could, above all, be avoided.
Also, a child who is always lying on their back in their crib, vibrating chair, swing, car seat, or in your arms may develop plagiocephaly (flat head).
Getting the child used to it
Therefore, it is recommended to place baby on his stomach several times a day, when he is awake, and accompanied by an adult. Know that a child who is accustomed from an early age to go on the belly will appreciate this position much more. So there is no point in waiting, on the contrary! At the beginning, you will only stay in this position for a few minutes, a time that, little by little, will become longer and longer. Thus, the more often he is in this position, the more he will appreciate it!
Don't be discouraged if he cries, whines and cries at first: most babies don't like this position because it requires more effort. Change position, and start again later. We therefore try to get baby to spend a total of 60 to 90 minutes daily on the stomach, according to the recommendations of the Canadian Pediatric Society.
The benefits of lying on your stomach
Being placed on the tummy daily has many benefits for baby. Indeed, this position allows to:
- prevent flat head: We know that if baby's malleable head is always placed in the same position, a flat area may form on the back of your baby's head. this one;
- help baby develop head control: Baby's head is big and heavy. When you place him on his stomach, you invite him to become aware of his member. At first, you can turn his head yourself so that he doesn't develop a habit and come to prefer a particular side;
- muscle the upper body: That is to say the neck, the back, the shoulders, the arms and the hands;
- develop gross motor skills: It is in this position that, little by little, baby will begin to turn from one side to the other,to crawl and, soon, to sit and roll ;
- promote the development of his senses: Being in several different positions allows your child to change his perception of the world around him.
As we have already mentioned, some babies hate the tummy position, which is essential for their proper development. Here are some tips to encourage them and teach them to appreciate it.
- Your child will be much more receptive if you also place yourself in this position and, of course, at his height. Plus, you'll be able to interact with him better.
- We start placing baby on his stomach from his first days of life: the sooner we start, the more quickly he will tame the position.
- It is better to place baby on the stomach several short times a day, than less often, and for long periods of time.
- To put him on his stomach, first place him on his back and gently turn him on his stomach. Not only will he be less surprised this way, you're actually teaching him to turn.
- We take advantage of diaper changes to play and place baby on his stomach for a few minutes, buttocks in the air!
- You can place a mirror or a toy in front of your baby to stimulate him.
- You can place a small rolled up towel under your baby's arms to raise him up a bit.
- Get your child used to this position even when he is in your arms, by taking him on your forearm, face down – plus, it's a great position for relieve nasty colic!
- another way to reinvent the prone position? Lie on your back and place baby on his stomach on top of you. Obviously, we keep our hands on him to avoid a bad fall.
For International Women's Day, two mothers reflect on their MeToo experience and discuss how to approach this subject with their children. How, today, can we provide information on the status and rights of women, as well as on gender equality?
Are you wondering about discipline? Here is some practical information on the limits to be set in the little ones
They are still small and yet they have big thoughts. In the ray of love, they know a chapter of it, especially with regard to their darling mother. We asked them, “Why are moms so important? »
Why do dogs sniff their butts? It's a question everyone asks. This very embarrassing situation is explained by an unusual event that happened a very long time ago
How can you resist this book that presents mother animals and their babies?