2023 Author: Anita Thornton | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-11-27 18:44
Find out how to put the kangaroo method into practice, which works wonders on newborns, especially on premature babies.
The Kangaroo Method is a technique that was developed in Bogota, Colombia, when the maternity ward was sorely lacking in incubators, several babies were struggling with infections and there was a high rate abandonment of babies.
What is it?
The kangaroo method offers to carry the baby in an upright position, skin to skin with the mother, the father or any other person. Breastfeeding on demand or every 90 minutes minimum is also an integral part of the method, when possible.
Start Kangaroo Care
- The baby is placed in an upright position, ideally the head between the mother's breasts, to facilitate breastfeeding. If twins, place them on either side of the chest.
- To pick up baby, place one hand on baby's neck/upper back with fingers supporting baby's chin so it doesn't drop down and block airway and other hand under baby's chin baby's bottom/lower back. Do not hesitate to take your time and accept your fears. Handling a premature baby can be very distressing, the staffdoctor is there to help you.
- You will be placed in a slightly reclined position, which will make it easier to hold your baby, especially in the first "kangaroo encounters". In addition, this position reduces the risk of apnea.
- Baby should only be in a diaper with a cap, placed on the bare skin of the kangaroo caregiver, which will help maintain his temperature.
Using a baby carrier
In developing countries, the kangaroo method completely replaces the incubator, when the baby is in a stable state. The parents then use a pocket, which is used to hold the baby, since often they have returned home and the portage allows them to wander about part of their daily activities.
If you also want to carry your premature child, here's how to adapt the use of the pouch - which is not currently readily available in Quebec - by using a cotton sling expandable, widely available and easy to find in all specialist maternity stores.
- Place the center (represented by a label, band or pocket) on your chest, the top at the height of the breasts.
- Bring the two sides of the baby carrier to the back, behind your back. Cross and bring them to the front, not overtightening, but above all, not providing any looseness to insert the child.
- Cross at the hips until the fabric no longer bothers you.
- Tie a strong double knot, ideally in front or on one hip, to avoid having a stitch in the back when you are seated.
- Thus, you have a horizontal band, the top of which is at chest height, which passes under your armpits, which crosses in the back and which returns forwards at the level of the hips.
- To insert baby, place yourself, leaning back, in an armchair for example, lower the horizontal band, place the baby lying towards you, face level with the breasts and pull the band up on the baby. Baby will have head out of carrier.
The baby carrier thus replaces a blanket. In addition, the use of a baby carrier allows you to rest while keeping baby on you. For some mothers too, carrying a baby brought back the feeling of being pregnant and gave the impression of terminating the pregnancy. It facilitates simultaneous taking of twins.
For easier carrying, wear a shirt. You can install the carrier under your shirt, then open the top to install baby.
Do not use the carrier to move around without holding your child unless you have a specially designed pocket or have been able to use your carrier in a conventional position (when your baby and you are ready, you can start babywearing with the stretchy or woven sling).
When to stop kangaroo care
If baby is medically stable, there is no reason to stop kangaroo care. Never letanyone convince you that the kangaroo method stresses, tires or weakens the child. Several studies have been conducted on this subject and it is shown that the kangaroo method, on the contrary, reduces the pain and stress of the baby. Skin-to-skin contact regulates temperature, heart rate and gently stimulates baby. Be confident in your parenting abilities.
The LAM method is the lactation and amenorrhea method. The LAM method provides the mother with effective contraception up to 6 months after childbirth if she practices full breastfeeding
Although we have a wide choice of contraceptives today, the majority of people do not know them all and there are many myths about the various possible methods. When we are in a relationship, the question of contraception is inevitable.
It is more than normal for a woman to be fragile and vulnerable after the arrival of a baby. This is why it is essential for her to be well surrounded after childbirth
Do you feel like you spend your time picking up? The Japanese Marie Kondo, expert in storage and organization, offers you to end it once and for all thanks to the KonMari method
In missing children, time can make all the difference. Child-Alerte is a free mobile application that allows parents to quickly transfer the report of their missing child