2023 Author: Anita Thornton | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-11-27 18:44
Here, we love to play with chalk! In fact, my daughters are always drawing, writing or playing some game on our gigantic blackboard. And it's also this little mania that inspired me to create this wonderful DIY chalk craft.
Besides, it's a great summer activity, when you've already had fun in the water games, and the sandbox, that we did bubbles and a long bike ride, but the kids still don't know what to do with their too long day off.
Homemade chalk recipe
What I like about this craft is that children can participate in it (or even do it almost alone!), customize it to infinity according to the mold used and have hours of fun with it their creation!
The material needed
To make your giant chalks, you will need silicone moulds (on sale in pastry shops or on the web), plaster of paris (available at hardware), tempera paint or gouache (at craft stores or Dollorama) and popsicle sticks(optional!)
- In a bowl, add 2 tbsp. paint tea.
- Add 2/3 cup dry plaster and 1/3 cup water.
- Stir with paint until smooth.
- Pour the chalk mixture into the molds then insert a popsicle stick.
- Repeat the previous steps as many times as desired color.
- Let dry overnight.
Making chalk in video
This chalk recipe is super easy to make and especially can make wonderful little gifts for stocking stuffers or kid's parties. All you need to make them is a few silicone molds related to your theme and this easy homemade chalk recipe.
Tips and Tricks
- Here are some tips and tricks to make sure you don't miss your chalk recipe:
- The water to plaster ratio doesn't have to be so precise. Indeed, it is possible to add a little more water to my basic recipe to make the mixture more liquid and thus facilitate the molding. However, the drying time will be a little longer than indicated.
- Silicone molds are a must for easy release. Have fun varying the shapes!
- Tempera paint does not smudge and is water-soluble, so be sure not to use just any paint in this recipe.
- This chalk recipe will make you the equivalent of a large muffin tin.
- Add glitter or essential oils for extra WOW chalks!
To inspire you with some ideas for using your new chalk, I have listed some games and activities to do with children.
Go find all our ideas HERE and see how children can be entertained for hours!
To use known ingredients, to save money or for the pleasure of making something yourself, we can make our own reusable baby wipes. Here's how. The methods and freshness of washable wipes Not all do-it-yourself mothers have the same methods when it comes to washing their babies' bottoms or cleaning children's hands.
While zapping, I came across a culinary technique for making homemade butter explained by Jérôme Ferrer. Oh! Interest! I can swear to you that once the capsule was finished, I threw myself into the kitchen to try it
Since they have to deal with an already busy daily life when it comes to puree time, do new parents have time to make homemade purees? The benefits are worth it
Just to show them how it's done, making sidewalk chalk with the kids can be a lot of fun. They will be all the more excited when the time comes to use them
Don't let lack of space hurt your green thumb! Here are 5 ideas that will allow you to grow several varieties of plants in a very small space